Sunday 15 April 2012

Higher Love


Now, I'm not really a religious person, I've been christened, but aside from a few church visits with school when I was younger, it's just not something I chose to believe in - I respect everyone's individual religious views, and this post is in no way about bashing anyone. Instead, it's about religious iconography (from all beliefs) and how delicious I think it is.

I've experienced mixed opinions on my love of religious icons, some people find it hypocritical since I'm not religious myself, and some are confused by it as it's not limited to one religion, but it's something I've always been drawn to for purely aesthetic, rather than spiritual, reasons.

I guess this is just another appreciation post (I appreciate a lot of things) though this time, I can't tell you where it stems from. I've always been fascinated by it and have decorated my house accordingly. On a windowsill at the top of the stairs, a sparkly Mary stands proudly next to some dinosaur toys (religion vs. science eh?) with a Russian doll and Maneki Neko watching over them...it's like a shrine for all things awesome.

Something I love about religious iconography is often the grandeur in which it's displayed. Combine that with a bit of glitter or a neon light or two and you're onto a winner in my eyes. Traditional religious aesthetics meeting with popular culture is a match made in agnostic heaven.

Baz Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet does this perfectly, so aside from lusting over Leo (still would. what?) I drool over the set for this film every time I watch it.
Delicious - see?


And a totally shameless picture of Mr.DiCaprio...


Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

Right... Rather than going on about why I love religious iconography, you can see for yourself how brilliant it is - here are some gorgeous pictures that support my point of 'all religious iconography is awesome and I want my house/life to look like the following' -
(all pictures are from tumblr or weheartit so no credits as yet, but if anyone knows where these come from, please let me know so I can give credit where it's due)












YUM.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean! I'm also not really a religious person but I like do decorate my apartment with pictures of the holy mary or jesus and my friend brought me some pretty figures of mary from Russia :D
    I think this churchy pictures and figures are beautiful and trashy and I like that!

    Sorry for my crappy English and greetings from Germany, Jana :)

    ReplyDelete